Project Type: Advisory Services
Data strategy consulting to define a data management roadmap for a national government
Abu Dhabi Systems & Information Centre (ADSIC) was established as a Centre under the leadership of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi. ADSIC owns the IT agenda of the Emirate.
ADSIC mandated at strategic level the development of the multi-year Abu Dhabi Government Data Strategy. This is a major pan-government initiative, the first of its kind globally, where the data strategy aims to achieve the following goals across more than sixty government departments:
- Improve data quality and accuracy in Abu Dhabi Government Entities (ADGE)
- Govern and control ADGEs’ data lifecycle
- Support decision-making systems
- Facilitate and improve data exchange between ADGEs
- Improve data transparency in ADGEs
- Standardise data management across ADGEs
- Provide a single version of truth to reduce data fractions
Furthermore, the programme is required to:
- Develop the operating model required to manage the programme and achieve its goals
- Develop Abu Dhabi government data management policy and standards supporting the programme to achieve its goal
- Develop templates for application to the above document types.
The programme would enable government entities to implement the people, process and technology improvements required to facilitate effective data management. Gulf Business Machines, the leading IT solutions provider in the GCC, in partnership with Entity Group, EMEA’s leading Information Management consultancy, were selected as strategic partners for the development of the Data Management Programme for the Abu Dhabi government.
APPROACH TO THE ENGAGEMENT
The programme was broken down into three phases to enable Entity to design all the supporting assets required for ADSIC to steer the rollout of data management over the coming years.
- Review of existing ADSIC standards and materials
- Benchmarking against global industry best practice, including:
– Review of the data management domains of other government agencies comparable to ADSIC
– Review of relevant international standards
– Review of other models of best practice
- Define a vision of the desired target state for data management within the Abu Dhabi government
- Define an information management programme to achieve that desired state
- Define the data strategy roadmap and overall programme plan, including plans for the sustaining activities such as training and communication
Build of the supporting document set, including:
- ADSIC level policy and standards for data management
- Templates/examples to support ADGEs in applying the policy and standards across each of their own domains.
This programme of work is completed. ADSIC has now published the Abu Dhabi Government Data Management Standards.